Thursday, May 8, 2008

All the news that's fit to print???

I am not sure how many of you have checked out Baggage Reclaim, either my posts on it, or of your own accord, but, NML site owner and friend, has been *this* close to being slanderised by the UK press.
In short, The Daily Mail (not number one for top notch journalism anyway) has posted a story on her on the online version of their rag.
They completely twisted, turned and slanderised not only her, but her site as a venue for women to get e-venge on cheating/clowning/asshat men.

What happened exactly is explained here
http://www.dollymix.tv/2008/05/how_the_daily_mail_misrepresen.html#more

Now the Daily Mail has since pulled the story from the site, but has yet to apologize or make a full retraction statement.

Why/What am I asking for your help with you may ask...well, mainly because it is such a falsehood and as a keen admirer of NML's I would love to see a full apology sent out to her.
Therefore, I ask that you all just take a minute, read the story, and show your support for her by either leaving a comment on her blog http://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/this-blog-is-about-empowerment-not-e-venge/#comment-154000 or sending an email to the Daily Mail demanding an apology.

Alternatively, take a sec too to think about what this kind of thing means to bloggers and the internet as free speech in general. Blogs are quite often venues for ranting and venting, sometimes personally specific, sometimes not, but mainly it is a venue of engagement. Where ideas are expressed, comments made and responded to, and a real community forms. To slander and accuse Natalie of what they have accused her of is nothing short of lies and further proof that traditional media is going the way of the dinosaur.
If they have to constantly twist facts and the truth in order to get readers, we must be very wary at all times about what we are reading. It isn't always black and white.

Yes, I am pissed. Does it show???

Thanks for listening guys
xoxo
Cheekie

5 comments:

lisa q. said...

Such shitiness! I'm completely outraged that they have slandered someone so obviously only out to empower women in their relationships. Natalie deserves an apology and so much more!

NML/Natalie said...

Thanks Cheekie for your post and Lisa for your comment. It's great to have such support and recognition of the facts. I'm going to keep chasing the retraction and the apology.x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NML/Natalie said...

Cheekie, this is a comment left by my stalker.

cheekie said...

I would like to think that anyone leaving a comment on my blog would do so with respect. You do not have to agree with me or my views.
However, if you wouldn't say that to my face in public, I do not want to see it here.
Anyone. ANYONE. disrespecting me, or my friends will automatically be deleted.

NML, I've said it before, and I will say it again, I have your back baby.